Sunday, March 16, 2014

Review - Brain McBride's Paradox

Allrighty. I KNOW I haven't posted much. As usual. I wish I could promise to do better, but I can't. I have enough trouble writing regularly as it is.

BUT. Anyways. Today I have a quick book review of Brian McBride's Paradox, book one of the Starcrafters' Saga. You can get it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Paradox-Starcrafters-Saga-Brian-McBride/dp/143279843X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394995803&sr=1-1&keywords=paradox+brian+mcbride

I'm not completely sure how to do this, but I'll give it a shot.

Overall, I love this. The world was wonderful, the kind that gets a hook in your brain and won't let go until you're done. The combination of more modern and medieval technology is unique.  I ripped through the book in one day, and re-read it sooner than I usually do.

The characters could have possibly been fleshed out a bit more at first. For a while at the beginning, David and Jake seemed to kind of smoosh together into what felt like a single character. As the story went along, though, they seperated and turned into good, realistic characters. I especially liked Hannah.

There was one plot twist that I felt the characters didn't react strongly enough to, and that made it feel ubrupt. I felt a bit jilted by it. The characters actually grieved less than I did.

A similar thing happened with the general writing style. It was choppy and lacking in the details department at first, but once I reached the end, it was leaving me breathless. The writing at the end was amazing.

Overall, this was wonderful. I loved it, and I can't wait for the second one. I'll give this book four stars.

(Edited to add: I cannot believe I forgot to mention this. *sheepish grin* The violence. There are endless opportunities for the violence to get graphic and gory. And it seems inevitable with so many ghouls, gremlins, dragons, vampires, werewolves and demons and big battle scenes. But Brian does an amazing job of keeping it from getting too detailed. Something very noteworthy, considering how easily he could have tossed in as much gore as he wanted.)


No comments:

Post a Comment